The Breakfast Debacle

Aloha friends!

I've been doing a lot of complaining lately to anyone who will listen about how bored I am with breakfast. It seems like such a silly worry to have, but it is something that causes me slight stress every AM.

The only consistent aspect of my mornings is coffee, but as I wait for the kettle to boil it's the same thought every morning, "what do I eat!?" I sip on my coffee, watch the news, and debate until my stomach feels like its going to implode. (I acknowledge that once I find a full time job my mornings will turn into the great race to get out of the house on time, and gone will be the days of flexibility with the academic life -- unless of course I get an academic job!)

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't want to eat. It's just that lately NOTHING satisfies me. I've gone through different phases of what appeals to me:

  • Shakes/smoothie bowls
  • Eggs (omelettes, scrambled then hard boiled), but lately I find the Omega-3 eggs leave a fishy aftertaste that is so unappealing
  • Avocado and tomato on toast sprinkled with feta
  • Pancakes and bacon (I never said it was always healthy phases)
  • Cereal (I even washed the bowl, no lazy Millennial here)
  • Cooked oats and overnight oats, but I can't seem to get over how much the texture bothers me so I can't jump on that bandwagon yet
  • Toast/English muffin with a nut butter
  • Homemade granola with fruit and yogurt

A colleague and friend of mine suggested I try granola. Although I already had been through this phase I figured I might as well give her recipe a chance. So this past Saturday I went over to make granola and we made a morning of it. It was quite nice -- we got the granola ready for the oven, and while it cooked we caught up while walking her dog and making homemade mac and cheese for lunch.

Ready for the oven!

Ready for the oven!

If you are wondering why we had so much time while it cooked, that's because this recipe involves cooking it at a low temperature, stirring every so often, to make sure it has a chewy rather than crunchy texture. I have to admit that tweaking my morning granola based on texture was all I needed to be excited about granola again.  

That got me thinking that maybe I was getting in a rut with the breakfast choices I was making, and all I needed to do was make small changes to fall back in love with breakfast. My next step was with my smoothies. My usual involves banana, berries, milk or almond milk, spinach, nut butter, hemp seeds, and chia seeds. This morning I went with a tropical twist using banana, strawberries, kiwi, milk, coconut yogurt, hemp and chia seeds. One little change of the flavour and I am excited to brainstorm new combinations.

It all seems so obvious to just make some small changes to the breakfast meals I've made before. But I guess that's how one gets into a rut, and a breakfast rut is exactly what I was in!

The granola is so good, this morning I just ate it with a spoon and nothing else.

The granola is so good, this morning I just ate it with a spoon and nothing else.

My friend was kind enough to share her family recipe for the granola, check it out below. And if you have any breakfast ideas of your own that you want to share leave a comment below :)

xoxo Michelle


8.5 cups large flake rolled oats

2 cups sunflower seeds

1.5 cups wheat germ

1 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut

1 cup sesame seeds

1.5 cups raisins

1 cup chopped apricots

1 tsp salt

1 1/4 boiling water

1 1/4 cup honey

1 1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tsp vanilla

Mix all the dry ingredients together. Add in the wet ingredients and mix well. This recipe makes a HUGE batch so it's best to bake in a couple of dishes so the granola can bake evenly. Bake for 2 hrs at 250 degrees. For the first hour, take out the granola every 30 minutes and give it a good mix. For the second hour, check every 15-20 minutes. You will notice that the granola becomes less sticky and begins to brown. You can play around with how long or little you want to keep the granola in, but for us I think it was around the 2 hr mark that we finally took it out.